I remember being mystified the first time I tried biscotti, they are such a unique biscuit – so long and lean, crunchy, yet soft when dunked in a big mug of coffee. Maybe you have tried biscotti from a packet at a coffee shop, maybe you haven’t tried any, one thing is for sure, you need to try fresh biscotti! I assumed they would be so difficult to make but they really aren’t and they are beyond worth the effort! They look quite impressive and are sure to impress guests if you serve a coffee with a biscotti! So I wanted to share my almond biscotti recipe with you all.
My recipe uses three different types of almonds in addition to almond extract so you can be sure they will deliver on almond flavour! This almond flavour pairs perfectly with coffee or hot chocolate, which is exactly what they are designed for – dunking!! They are nice and crunchy, but not too crunchy, I don’t like to feel like I am about to break my teeth.
Almond Biscotti Recipe
I highly recommend a silicone baking mat* for making these. They are a great bit of equipment to have in your kitchen for any sort of baking and I much prefer them to baking paper as these things seriously never stick to your food! I also love that they are reusable.
While these will keep for up to a week, I recommend enjoying them while they are as fresh as possible. They can start to lose their crunch when kept in a plastic container.
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sliced/flaked almonds
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup whole almonds roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 170c/350f. Line a baking tray with a baking mat or parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the ground almonds, flour, salt and baking powder.
- Whisk together the sugar, melted coconut oil, eggs, vanilla extract and almond extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix to combine.
- Fold through the chopped almonds.
- Place the ball of dough on the pan and shape in to a rectangle around 1″ thick, 4″ wide and 12-14″ long.
- Sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top and press down lightly in to the dough.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes then remove from the oven and allow to cool until it is cool enough to handle. Leave the oven on!
- Transfer to a cutting board and cut in to slices around 1″ wide.
- Place the slices back on to the tray side-down and bake for another 20 minutes, or until the centre of the slices feel firm.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a baking rack to cool completely before serving.
Did you enjoy this recipe? Please let me know in the comments below and tag me in your creations on Instagram @essentially.emma
There are affiliate links in this post, denoted with a * this just means that if you decide to purchase that product that I will receive a small commission. This is at no extra cost to you and just helps me keep making delicious recipes!