Hello everyone! Today I thought I would share the recipe for my buckwheat banana bread, this is one of my most popular recipes and everyone that tries it loves it!
While normal banana bread is delicious, the title is misleading as it is most definitely banana cake and is usually filled about half a bag of sugar. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting that, sometimes I fancy a slice of cake without having a crazy sugar rush and this recipe is perfect for that. It uses a little maple syrup to add sweetness instead of cups of sugar, buckwheat flour to add fibre and nutrients and a little coconut oil. Plus it can easily be made vegan and gluten-free. I promise you it does not compromise on taste either! My favourite way to have this banana bread is warmed up in the microwave (or fresh out of the oven) with some nut butter spread on the top – delicious.
- The main piece of equipment you will need for this banana bread is a good, nonstick 2lb/900g loaf tin. This ProChef 2lb Loaf Tin is my favourite and it is super affordable.
- Parchment/baking paper: I am sure we have all been there trying to wedge a cake out of a tin with a knife and it just won’t budge. Lining your tin is a simple solution, but let’s be honest it can be a pain! With loafs, an easy tip is to simply lay two long strips of baking paper in the tin with the ends hanging out, then use those ends as handles to lift the cake out!
- Vegan: simply swap the eggs for flax eggs (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water mixed for each egg).
- Gluten Free: this buckwheat banana bread is naturally gluten free as long as you make sure your buckwheat flour is certified and does not contain any traces of gluten.
- Add ins: try adding your favourite chopped nuts, dried fruit or even some chocolate chips to change things up.
- Muffins: this recipe works perfectly as muffins, simply divide the batter between some muffin cases and bake for less time, roughly 20 minutes.
Buckwheat Banana Bread
- 1.5 cups buckwheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs or two flax eggs
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil + extra for greasing
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp whole oats
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius (360f)
- Grease a loaf tin with some coconut oil (does not need to be melted)
- Mash bananas in a large bowl
- Whisk in the eggs to the banana
- Add the remaining wet ingredients and mix well
- In a separate bowl, mix together the dry ingredients
- Slowly fold the dry ingredients in to the wet ingredients
- If you want to add in extras (chopped nuts, chocolate chips etc) fold in now
- Pour in to the greased tin and spread evenly
- Sprinkle over the oats and brown sugar and bake for 30-40 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean
- Allow to cool, remove from tin and slice to serve
I hope you enjoy this buckwheat banana bread recipe as much as I do, please feel free to let me know in the comments below if you enjoy it and tag me in your creations on Instagram @essentially.emma If you like this recipe, you may also like my Buckwheat Banana Pancakes!