If you are a PB&J lover, this recipe is definitely for you! I love jam on so many things: pancakes, oats, toast, granola, yoghurt and of course PB&J. Normal jam has quite a lot of added sugar and is just too sweet for me. This chia jam is oh so simple, but tastes so good and is super nutritious.
It uses the chia seeds to thicken the jam instead of lots of sugar and uses fresh fruit and a hint of honey or maple syrup to sweeten it slightly. I love that it lets the flavour of the fruit shine through and you really can make it in whatever flavour you want. I have made raspberry, blackberry and blueberry here, but you can make so many flavours or even a blend.
Chia Seeds Nutrition
Aside from being the perfect natural thickener for this jam, chia seeds are a nutritional powerhouse. They are absolutely loaded with fibre which makes this much more filling and satiating than normal jam. Add it to some wholemeal toast or oats and you have yourself a nutritious breakfast! They are also loaded with healthy fats, including lots of omega-3s which are great for our skin, brain, heart and overall health.
Easy Chia Jam 3 Ways
- 2 cups berries fresh or frozen, roughly 300g
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup optional, to taste
- Add the fruit and water to a saucepan over low-medium heat. Cook for roughly 10 minutes or so, until the fruit has broken down. Mash with a fork to help the process!
- Remove from the heat and stir in the chia seeds and maple syrup or honey, if using.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes, then stir again.
- Pour in to a jar and allow to cool before sealing with a lid and storing in the fridge.