Those dreamy clusters you see here are the result of a match made in heaven. The perfect granola is a tricky balance, it need to have plenty of crunch, a bit of sweetness, lots of warm flavours and a bit of fruity flavour too. I cannot stand granola with lots of dried fruit and no clusters! This Christmas granola just hits the nail on the head. With hints of orange, honey, freeze dried cranberries and a whole lot of Christmas spice!
Christmas granola also makes a lovely gift idea. Whether you are tight on budget this year, love to make your gifts rather than buy or are simply looking for something fun to add alongside another gift, you can’t go wrong with a jar of homemade granola. Make a big batch and give a jar to all of your family and friends, but be sure to save yourself some because it makes for a lovely winter breakfast.
I was kindly sent some of the ingredients for this granola by Buy Whole Foods Online which is an absolute mecca for ingredients! They have pretty much everything in multiple package sizes which is great for bulk buying staples. They also have lots of harder to find ingredients like the freeze dried cranberries and puffed millet in this recipe. Here are the bits I used:
- 2.5 cups oats
- 1.5 cups puffed millet or other puffed grain
- 1/2 orange zest and juice of
- 1/2 cup blanched hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries freeze dried or dried
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180c/350f.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, puffed millet, hazelnuts, cashews, orange zest, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
- Add the honey, orange juice and coconut oil to a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds-1 minute until melted.
- Pour the honey mixture over the oat mixture and mix well until evenly coated.
- Spread out on a baking tray and bake for 40-50 minutes, turning every 15 minutes or so, until golden brown. Top tip: every time you stir try to move the outside bits to the inside and the inside to the outside to ensure even browning.
- Allow to cool completely on the baking tray for an hour before mixing in the dried cranberries and transferring to a jar.