There is a lot going on in the world right now and while it isn’t something I want to discuss on here, I am sure we are all feeling the pressure and the hysteria. Especially when walking round the grocery store and seeing empty shelves! I want to share some simple, yummy recipes that use just a few affordable ingredients to make cooking easy at the moment. This courgette and spinach pesto pasta is just perfect for that. You can make a big batch of pesto and freeze it to keep some on hand, and you really can change out a lot of the ingredients to suit what you have on hand.
This spinach pesto pasta is creamy, zesty and full of flavour, but also full of nutrients thanks to the spinach in the pesto. Easily made dairy free, nut free or gluten free to suit your needs! Sending everyone love at the moment, stay safe and keep cooking!
A powerful food processor or is really key to making smooth, creamy pesto. I use and love the Sage Kitchen Whizz Pro (Breville Sous Chef), it is pricey, but is a workhorse for any keen cooks and saves me so much time! It has so many functions beyond blending, it can slice, dice, fold dough, shred and so much more. I use the mini bowl for making pesto. A budget friendly option is this Kenwood Mini Chopper, I have had it for 5 years and it is perfect for making pesto and sauces in!
- Greens: you can easily swap the spinach for more basil or kale.
- Pine nuts: try a different nut for a slightly different flavour, brazil nuts work well with kale!
- Nut free: omit the nuts and add some extra parmesan.
- Dairy free: omit the parmesan and add extra pine nuts and olive oil.
- Gluten free: the pesto is naturally gluten free, simply serve with gluten-free pasta.
- Vegetable: the courgette can easily be swapped for green beans or peas, or a mix!
Courgette and Spinach Pesto Pasta
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lemon juice of
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 courgette
- 4 cups pasta 400g
- Set a pot of water to boil over high heat.
- Add all of the ingredients for the pesto to the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy, roughly 1 minute.
- Cut off the ends from the courgette and slice in to 1cm rounds. Then chop the rounds in half.
- Once the water is boiling, add the pasta and cook for 10-12 minutes until al dente.
- Meanwhile, add a drizzle of olive oil to a frying pan over medium heat. Add the courgette and cook until the pasta is finished.
- Drain the pasta and add to the frying pan with the pesto. Add as much pesto as you prefer, you can save the rest!
- Toss well to coat evenly.
- Serve garnished with some fresh basil and a sprinkle of parmesan.
I hope that you enjoyed this recipe, if you did feel free to tag me in your creations on Instagram @essentially.emma You may also like my Leek, Carrot and Lentil Soup recipe that I posted recently, it is another simple recipe!