While you really can’t go wrong with classic potato fries, sometimes it is nice to change it up. These courgette (zucchini) fries are the perfect option: tender courgette batons coated in parmesan and polenta and baked to a perfect, golden crisp. Served up with a sour cream and chive dip they are an absolute delight. A perfect side dish for a summer BBQ!
The trick to getting that amazing crunch without deep frying them like most restaurants do, is to use polenta. It adds the perfect crunchy texture and gets oh so crisp in the oven. Paired with the parmesan, it makes for one yummy crust. It also means these courgette fries are naturally gluten-free, no breadcrumbs in sight! A particularly yummy way to get in a portion (or two) of vegetables for the day.
- Vegan: swap the eggs for whisked aquafaba (chickpea water) and use a vegan hard cheese. Serve with an alternative sauce or use a vegan yoghurt/cream to make the sour cream and chive dip.
- Dairy free: use a dairy-free cheese in place of the parmesan, or double the polenta and use just that. Serve with a dairy-free dip of your choice.
- Egg free: use whisked aquafaba.
- 2 courgettes/zucchinis
- 1/2 cup polenta
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt or salt + garlic granules/powder
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yoghurt
- Remove the ends from the courgettes and cut in to batons.
- Preheat the oven to 200c/400f.
- Mix the polenta, parmesan and garlic salt in a bowl. Season with black pepper to taste.
- Whisk the eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the courgette batons to the bowl with the egg and toss well to coat in the egg.
- Sprinkle over the polenta mix and toss again to coat evenly.
- Spread out the fries in a large baking tray and cook for 30 minutes until golden and crisp, turning regularly.
- Meanwhile, mix together the chives and sour cream in a small bowl.
- Serve the fries with the sour cream and chive dip.
I hope you enjoyed this recipe, let me know down below what you think and tag me in your creations on Instagram @essentially.emma . If you liked this recipe, you may also like my Courgette and Spinach Pesto Pasta for a summer lunch or dinner!