Simple, creamy and warming mushroom pasta full of nutritious mushrooms. A perfect plant based autumn dish that will fill you up! Easily made gluten-free or vegan.
Mushrooms Nutrition Benefits
Mushrooms are a fantastic vegan source of vitamin D which is really important for our bone and immune health, particularly through the winter when we can’t get enough of it from the sun. A top tip is to put your mushrooms on your windowsill in the sun for an hour and it will increase their vitamin D content! Use a mixture of wild mushrooms for a delicious flavour and range of nutrients. I used a mix of chestnut, shiitake and cremini.
Creamy Mushroom Pasta Recipe Modifications
- Gluten-free: simply serve with your favourite gluten-free pasta.
- Vegan: use margarine and vegan cheese.
- Pasta: you can use any pasta for this recipe, I used the amazing Einkorn Gigli Rigati pasta from Pastificio Carleschi. Einkorn is the ancient, traditional form of wheat and is full of amazing nutrients. You can use any white, brown, lentil or chickpea pasta for this recipe.
Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- 180 g wholewheat pasta
- 1 tbsp margarine or butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced or crushed
- 250 g mixed mushrooms sliced or halved
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 125 ml white wine or vegetable stock
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 lemon juice of
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan or vegan hard cheese, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 handful rocket
- Set a pan of water to boil for the pasta.
- Heat the butter/margarine and olive oil in a deep frying pan or sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and continue cooking until soft, around 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the pasta to the water once boiling.
- Add the white wine, thyme, lemon juice and mustard and continue cooking for 5 minutes until the liquid has mostly evaporated.
- Add a ladle of the pasta water to the pan and add the cheese. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and add to the sauce pan and mix together.
- Serve garnished with the rocket, parsley and extra cheese, if desired.
I hope that you enjoyed this recipe! Tag me on Instagram if you make it and share it. You may also like my Vegan Miso Noodle Soup.