If you are a fan of Nutella then these are double chocolate hazelnut cookies are for you! The combination of hazelnut and chocolate is just a winner, the nuttiness adds a praline type flavour to the chocolate that is oh so yummy. These cookies are chocolate dough filled with dark chocolate chunks and roasted hazelnuts topped off with a little sea salt – fudgy, gooey and all-around delicious!
Easily made gluten free or vegan, these are an easy treat to bake in under an hour! Freeze balls of extra dough and pop them in a ziplock bag in the freezer for ready to bake cookies whenever!
- Gluten Free: Simply swap the flour for a 1:1 gluten free blend and make sure your cacao powder is certified gluten free.
- Nut Free: Simply leave out the hazelnuts and enjoy them as a double chocolate cookie!
- Dairy Free: Use coconut oil instead of butter and make sure your chocolate chips are dairy free.
- Vegan: Use coconut oil, dairy free chocolate chips and a flax egg – see recipe notes.
- Nuts: The hazelnuts add a lot to this recipe, but walnuts would also be delicious!
You don’t really need any special equipment other than a mixing bowl and baking trays to make cookies, but here are a few things that certainly make life easier:
- Ice Cream/Cookie Scoop: Ideal for scooping out even, balls of dough. The trick to getting perfectly round, even cookies!
- Silicone Baking Mats: Super helpful for placing on top of your baking trays for perfectly cooked cookies that come off the pan easily!
- KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer: Certainly a luxury, but it makes beating cookie dough a breeze along with almost every other task in the kitchen!
Double Chocolate Hazelnut Cookies
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or butter (110g) room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown or golden sugar
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg or 1 flax egg, see notes
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped blanched and roasted hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar and butter/coconut oil with a stand or hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg/flax egg and vanilla and beat again.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, cacao powder, baking soda and salt.
- Fold the dry ingredients in to the wet ingredients until combined.
- Add the hazelnuts and chocolate chips and fold again.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes or pop in to the freezer for 10 minutes if you are impatient like me!
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350f/180c.
- Once the dough is chilled, use an ice cream scoop or tablespoon to scoop out balls of dough and spread out evenly on a baking tray. You may need two trays!
- Cook for 10 minutes, then allow to cool on the trays before serving.
I hope that you enjoyed this recipe, let me know down below what you thought of it! If you are a chocolate lover like me, you may also like my Ultimate Peanut Butter Brownies.