You really can’t beat fresh, homemade gnocchi. It is so light and fluffy, a delicacy all by itself that only needs a simple sauce to enhance it! It requires the simplest of ingredients and really isn’t that hard to make, so I recommend everyone tries giving it a go at home. It is also very easy to make gluten-free by just using a good plain gluten-free flour!
- 1 kg potatoes King Edward's or Maris Piper are perfect
- 1 egg
- 200 g gluten-free flour I used Dove's Farm plain white flour
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Bring a large pan of water to a boil and add the potatoes whole with the skin on.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes until you can easily pierce the potato with a fork.
- Drain and allow to cool for a few minutes before carefully peeling the skins off.
- Pass through a potato ricer in to a large bowl.
- Create a well and add the egg, nutmeg and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix lightly.
- Add flour and gently fold in using your hands until the dough just comes together.
- Lightly dust a clean surface with flour and turn out the dough. Knead for around 30 seconds.
- Roll in to a ball and cut in to quarters. Roll our each quarter in to a 1" sausage and slice in to gnocchi.
- Cook in boiling water for 2 minutes.