Spring/summer flavours have to be my absolute favourite! I love zesty, light dishes that are full of fresh
I have always loved lemon poppyseed cake, it is so simple yet so satisfying. The light, fluffy lemon sponge paired with a zesty drizzle and a slight crunch of poppy
Where to find lavender
I dried my own lavender from my garden, which takes around 2 weeks, but you can easily pick some up online too. You want to look for
Lavender Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf Recipe
You will need a 2lb (9″ x 5″) non-stick loaf tin for this recipe, this one is my
The drizzle is totally optional and this cake is just as delicious without! You also could just squeeze some lemon juice over it for a less sweet option.
Lavender Lemon Poppyseed Loaf
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 lemons juice and zest
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp dried lavender optional
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 lemon juice of
- Preheat the oven to 180c/350f. Grease a 2lb/1.5L loaf tin with butter or coconut oil.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the lemon juice, zest and vanilla.
- Mix the flour and baking powder together and add to the egg mix gradually until combined.
- Fold through the greek yogurt, followed by the poppy seeds and dried lavender, if using.
- Bake for 50 minutes – 1 hour, until the sponge springs back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then carefully pop it out of the tin and allow to cool completely on a rack before icing.
- Whisk the lemon juice and icing sugar together to form the glaze. If it seems too thick, add a tiny amount of water gradually until it reaches your desired consistency. You will want it to be quite thick, otherwise it will all run off the cake!
- Drizzle over the cake and allow to set before serving.