Cozy breakfasts are my favourite on grey winter mornings and this poached pear porridge totally hits the spot. It is a pretty normal, comforting bowl of porridge but with a cozy twist that makes it a little more jazzy than a standard bowl of porridge with some berries. That would be a deliciously winter spiced poached pear. Sounds complicated I know, but I promise it is so simple and I wish I had tried making them sooner!
I don’t actually like pears usually, I find them quite bland, but this pear is poached with maple syrup, cinnamon and vanilla and tastes divine on a cozy bowl of oats! I finished mine off with some freeze dried raspberries to add a little tart flavour.
Poached Pear Porridge
- 1 pear
- 40 g oats
- 200 ml almond milk
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed optional
- 1 tsp freeze dried raspberries optional
- Peel the pear and add to a saucepan of water with 1 tsp of cinnamon, 1 tsp of honey/maple syrup and the vanilla extract.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the pear is tender.
- Remove the pear and discard the water.
- Add the oats, flaxseed, milk and remaining cinnamon to the pan.
- Heat over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the porridge has reached your preferred consistency.
- Meanwhile, slice the pear in half and scoop out the core.
- Serve the porridge topped with the pear, a drizzle of the remaining honey/maple syrup, a sprinkle of cinnamon and some freeze dried raspberries.
I hope you guys enjoy this poached pear porridge recipe! Let me know down in the comments what you think and tag me in your creations on Instagram @essentially.emma