I am all about the one pan, quick and easy meals at the moment, but of course they still need to taste delicious! Pasta is a go-to dish in our house, I absolutely love it and you really can chuck anything in to it and it will taste delicious. Simple, fresh tomato sauces are my absolute favourite and this roasted tomato and kale pasta is the perfect spring/summer pasta dish! Perfect for the warm weather when you don’t want to be working away in a hot kitchen.
Roasting the tomatoes before adding them to the sauce really brings out that naturally sweet flavour, simply tossed with lots of garlic, olive oil and cavolo nero (black kale or Tuscan kale). Cavolo nero is my favourite kind of kale, I find it isn’t as tough and has a delicious flavour. Plus, it is absolutely loaded with nutrients thanks to that dark colour!
Nutritional Benefits of Cavolo Nero
- Loaded with vitamins K, A and C.
- Packed with antioxidants from that dark green colour.
- Great source of dietary fibre.
- Vegan source of calcium.
- Gluten free: simply use your favourite gluten free pasta!
- Dairy free and vegan: use no cheese or top with a vegan/dairy free cheese.
- Cavolo nero: if you can’t find it or aren’t a fan, you can use regular kale or spinach.
- Tagliatelle: I love tagliatelle with this recipe, but you really can use any pasta, fresh or dried. You can also use wholemeal for a fibre boost.
- Balsamic vinegar: if you don’t have balsamic vinegar to hand, use red or white wine vinegar.
Roasted Tomato and Kale Pasta
- 400 grams cherry tomatoes
- 150 grams dried tagliatelle or fresh
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 handfuls cavolo nero shredded
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- parmesan to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200c/400f.
- Add the tomatoes to a baking tray and roast for 20 minutes, until starting to burst.
- After 10 minutes, put a pan of water on to boil for the pasta.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Use a garlic press to crush the garlic and add to the pan. Cook for 3 minutes until golden and fragrant. Be careful not to burn it!
- Add the kale and chilli flakes to the pan and cook for a further 5 minutes until softened. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices to the pan, along with 1/2 cup of the pasta water, basil and the balsamic vinegar.
- Simmer for 3 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and add to the pan, mix well to heat through, then serve with a sprinkle of parmesan.
I hope you enjoyed this easy recipe, let me know down below what you thought! If you enjoyed this, you might also like my Courgette and Spinach Pesto Pasta.