Savoury popcorn?! You may be thinking that I am completely nuts, but if you have never tried savoury popcorn you seriously need to, especially if you are a lover of salty snacks! Popcorn lends itself well to so many different flavours and this rosemary and parmesan popcorn is a particularly delicious combination. If you love cheesy, herby flavours you will definitely love this.
I never really thought about making my own popcorn up until a few months ago, it was generally something that I saved for while I was at the movies and not really something I thought about making at home! It is actually pretty easy to make and seriously cheap if you buy a big bag of kernels in bulk. Plus it is a surprisingly nutritious snack!
Popcorn Nutrition Benefits
- An amazing source of fibre
- Considered a wholegrain – hence the fibre!
- Low in saturated fats
- High in magnesium
- High in phosphorous
- High in manganese
Rosemary Parmesan Popcorn Recipe
If you aren’t a fan of rosemary or parmesan, you can easily alter this recipe for another type of cheese and herb. White cheddar and chive is an idea that springs to mind that sounds particularly delicious!
You will need a large pan with a lid or a popcorn machine for this recipe.
Rosemary Parmesan Popcorn
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup rosemary leaves
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Heat the oil in a large pan that has a lid.
- Once sizzling, add the popcorn and heat until the popcorn starts popping, shaking every 30 seconds to stop it from burning.
- Once it starts to pop, place the lid on the pan and continue to heat, shaking every 30 seconds.
- Once the pops are around 2-3 seconds apart, remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle over the salt, rosemary and cheese. Replace the lid and shake well to coat. Serve and enjoy!
I hope that you enjoy this recipe, let me know down below in the comments and please do come say hi on Instagram – it is @essentially.emma