I have a deliciously easy vegan recipe to share with you all today, this lovely smashed chickpea salad. It is sort of like a vegan tuna salad, it can be used as a sandwich filler in wraps and sandwiches, but is equally as tasty on its own. It is a great recipe to prep at the start of the week and keep in the fridge to use for easy lunches throughout the week.
This recipe takes under 10 minutes to mix up and is a very filling and nutritious meal thanks to the chickpeas and veggies it is loaded with. Chickpeas are an amazing source of fibre and plant protein, so they will keep you full all afternoon, especially when paired with a wrap or a sandwich. There are a range of colourful veggies in this dish: celery, carrots, red cabbage and picked red onion. All of which are loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
How to Make it
First you are going to start by mashing the rinsed chickpeas roughly in a large bowl, this gives them a lovely texture. You are also going to want to grate your carrot, shred your red cabbage and chop the celery.
Next, mix up your dressing ingredients and mix it all together in the bowl. It is as easy as that!
Smashed Chickpea Salad Recipe
You are going to need a potato masher and a grater for this recipe. A lemon juicer may be handy too! The pickled red onions in this recipe are from a recipe by Bari the Dietitian – they are simply red onions pickled in white vinegar and sugar and are oh so delicious in this salad!
Smashed Chickpea Salad
- 2 tins chickpeas drained
- 1 head red cabbage thinly sliced
- 2 carrots grated
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1 lemon juice of
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup vegan mayo or normal mayo
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup picked red onions optional
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas and roughly mash in a large bowl using a potato masher.
- Stir through the diced celery, grated carrot and shredded red cabbage.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayo, tahini, garlic powder, mustard and lemon juice.
- Add the sauce to the chickpea mixture and stir through. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- If you would like to add some picked onions, mix those through or sprinkle on the top and serve.
Serve topped with the pickled onions either by itself or wrapped up in a wrap or sandwich!
I hope that you enjoyed this recipe, let me know down in the comments below what you think!