Summer is in full swing and I am loving all the fresh, simple summer dishes! I also have a courgette plant that is churning out courgettes so I am finding lots of recipes to use them up. This smashed pea and avocado toast is a delicious, slightly fancier alternative to normal avocado toast and is a serious upgrade. Peas and avocado are mashed together with lemon, then topped with a lemony whipped ricotta, courgette ribbons and chilli flakes. All on crusty sourdough bread.
You may think why peas on toast?! I thought that too until I tried it but it is so good! Peas have a naturally sweet, fresh taste that pairs with creamy avocado so perfectly. Particularly with this lemon whipped ricotta on top. Peas are also surprisingly high in protein, so they are a great way to add protein to a dish that wouldn’t have much otherwise. They are also a great source of fibre and vitamin C.
- The only main piece of equipment you need for this recipe is a good peeler or mandolin to get thin ribbons of courgette. This peeler is the best I have ever used, it has three different blade types to use for normal peeling, fruit peeling and julienne peeling.
- I also absolutely love my avocado tool for halving avocados and removing the stone easily.
- Gluten Free: Use your favourite gluten free bread.
- Dairy Free and Vegan: Either leave the ricotta off (still delicious) or use vegan/dairy free soft cheese and whip it with lemon.
- Peas: Broad beans would be a delicious alternative.
- Courgette: This can be left off, or try some thin tomato slices.
Smashed Pea and Avocado Toast
- 1/2 large avocado
- 3/4 cup peas frozen or fresh
- 2 large slices sourdough or 4 smaller slices
- 1 lemon sliced in half
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- 1/2 courgette
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- Cook the peas according to the pack instructions.
- Add the peas and the flesh of the avocado to a bowl with a squeeze of lemon juice. Mash well with a fork. Mash less if you like a chunkier mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Add the ricotta, cream cheese and juice of 1/2 the lemon to a bowl and whip together either by hand or with an electric mixer until light and creamy.
- Use a mandolin or a peeler to slice the courgette in to ribbons.
- Toast the bread, then top with the pea smash, a few spoonfuls of the ricotta, a few ribbons of avocado and some chilli flakes, salt and pepper.
I hope that you enjoyed this Smashed Pea and Avocado toast recipe. You might also like my Courgette and Spinach Pesto Pasta if you have courgette leftover!