What makes the perfect chocolate chip cookie? They need to be gooey, but also chewy with a chunky texture. A little bit of sea salt to balance the sweet chocolate and also fairly thick. That’s just my opinion of course, but if that sounds like your dream cookie then stick around because these ultimate chocolate chip cookies are just that!
Chocolate chip cookies have a fairly simple, standard recipe, but the tiniest tweak can have a big difference to the cookie. So here are my tips and trips for the ultimate chocolate chip cookie. With options for dairy free, gluten free and vegan too!
Ultimate Cookie Tips
- CHILL THE DOUGH. This is so essential but many people skip it! Chilling the dough firms it up which helps your cookies not to spread too much, but it also really changes the texture.
- Scooping the dough: Use an ice cream scoop to scoop the dough as this will give you a round, even ball. Place the ball on the baking tray and don’t flatten it, this will give you thick, chewy cookies.
- Underbake: Underbaking the cookies slightly is key to chewy cookies. Cookies continue to cook when you take them out of the oven so if you bake them completely in the oven, they will be overbaked and crispy. Take them out roughly 2 minutes before you think they would be done. They should be barely golden and somewhat gooey at this point. Then let them cool on the tray for at least 10 minutes
- Dark chocolate and salt: Salt is essential to the perfect cookie flavour so don’t leave it out, I also like to add a few flakes of sea salt to the top. You can use milk chocolate, but I think semi sweet or dark enhances the flavour!
- Dairy free: use coconut oil or margarine in place of the butter. You may find the cookies spread out a bit more. Use dairy free chocolate chips.
- Gluten free: use a 1:1 gluten free flour and make sure your baking soda and powder are also gluten free.
- Vegan: leave out the egg and add 3 tbsp almond milk. Use margarine or coconut oil and dairy free chocolate chips.
- Chocolate: you can use any type of chocolate chips in these, I love dark or semi sweet, but milk and white work too!
Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 stick unsalted butter (112g) room temperature
- 3/4 cup golden caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or with a hand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, roughly 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat again.
- Fold in the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Cover the bowl and place in the fridge. Chill for a minimum of 2 hours, up to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 180c/350f.
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper or a baking mat.
- Use an ice cream scoop to scoop out golf ball sized scoops of dough. Place on the tray and repeat with remaining dough. Do not flatten the dough.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, until just starting to brown on the top. The trick to chewy cookies is to take them out from the oven slighly underbaked to finish cooking out of the oven. The cookies should look gooey but with slight areas of browning when you take them out.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the trays for 10 minutes before eating or transferring to a cooling rack.
I hope that you enjoyed this recipe! If you did, you may also like my Ultimate Peanut Butter Brownies.