Some days, you just really need a brownie. Not just any brownie, a gooey, fudgy, rich and chewy brownie that really hits the spot! These peanut butter brownies are the ultimate brownie and are perfect for any peanut butter lovers out there. The core brownie is thick, dense, fudgy and super chocolatey. Top that with a generous swirl of creamy peanut butter and you have yourself a delightful treat! Share with friends or keep for yourself, they won’t last long.
The only key piece of equipment for these peanut butter brownies is a good brownie tin/pan. I prefer a square pan, but a rectangle works just as well! Look for one with a good nonstick coating that is an 8 or 9″ square or rectangle equivalent, I like this Masterclass one. You can use a smaller or bigger pan, just remember it will change how thick your brownies are. So use a bigger pan if you like a thinner brownie, or a smaller one to make them super thick.
- Nut free: either omit the peanut butter completely or swap for a seed butter.
- Dairy free: use melted coconut oil and dairy free chocolate.
- Gluten free: simply swap the plain flour for a good 1:1 gluten-free blend. Check your cocoa powder is gluten free too.
- Chocolate: you can use milk chocolate, but it really won’t give a rich taste. I recommend using a lighter dark chocolate like a 60%, but you can go as high as you like if you are a dark chocolate lover!
- Sugar: the recommended 1 cup is lower than a lot of other recipes, I love the rich, fudgy flavour of these brownies, but feel free to up the sugar to taste. You can also use maple syrup or agave, but it will change the batter consistency slightly.
Peanut Butter Brownie Tips
- Peanut butter: use a very smooth, runny peanut butter to allow for optimum swirling! Thick peanut butters won’t spread as easily.
- Parchment paper: use two long strips in a + shape to line your tin. This will give you handles to lift the slab of brownies out before cutting. It will make your life so much easier!
- Mixing: be careful not to over mix your brownies, they don’t need lots of air knocked in to them like a cake does, just some whisking of the eggs and folding in of the flour.
Ultimate Peanut Butter Brownies
- 150 grams butter 1.3 sticks
- 125 grams dark chocolate 4.4 oz
- 1 cup sugar to taste
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350f/180c. Line a square baking tin with parchment paper. Use two long strips in a + shape so that you have handles to lift the brownies out later!
- Add the chocolate and butter to a microwave safe mixing bowl and heat until melted. Alternatively, melt in a bain marie.
- Once the chocolate and butter are melted, add in the sugar and whisk well for 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in the eggs and the vanilla.
- Fold in the cocoa powder, flour and salt. Mix well, the batter should be very thick.
- Spread the batter in to the prepared pan, using a spatula or spoon to spread it in to the corners.
- Dot the peanut butter on top of the brownies and use a spoon or knife to swirl through the peanut butter and brownie mixture in figures of 8 until marbled.
- Bake for roughly 25 minutes. To check if they are done, jiggle the pan, if the centre wobbles, give them a few more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the pan before lifting out and cutting in to 16 squares.