What a showstopper this one is! If you are looking for a super fun, easy Valentine’s breakfast, this pink oatmeal is the way to go! This gorgeous pink colour is surprisingly simple to achieve with just one natural ingredient: beetroot powder. This adds a lovely flavour to the oats and pairs perfectly with the raspberries, cacao nibs, freeze dried raspberries and puffed millet toppings.
Aside from creating this gorgeous pink colour, beetroot powder is an amazing way to add a nutritional kick to your recipes. It is delicious in oats, pancakes, smoothies and baked goods. Buy Whole Foods Online sells amazing quality beetroot powder for a great price and it is what I have used in this recipe. A few benefits of beetroot include:
- Loaded with so many antioxidants and phytonutrients, just look at the colour!
- Great source of folate, vitamin C and manganese
- Lots of fibre
- Potent source of nitrates: compounds which dilate our blood vessels, lowering blood pressure and increasing blood supply to our muscles. So much so that there have been many debates about whether beetroot juice is a doping agent as it can increase exercise performance!
- 1 cup oats
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 tsp beetroot powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cacao nibs
- 1 tsp freeze dried raspberries
- 1 tsp puffed millet
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- Add the oats, milk, beetroot powder, vanilla and honey to a saucepan over medium heat.
- Simmer for 5 minutes for porridge oats, or 10 for whole oats, until thickened to your desired consistency.
- Serve topped with your favourite toppings!
If you liked this recipe, you might also like my chocolate porridge recipe!