I am all about the one pan, quick and easy meals on weeknights. I spend so much time cooking for my blog and for other clients that when 6pm rolls around, I just want something simple, and delicious of course! This vegan chickpea curry is a wonderful weeknight dish that is quick, uses one pot, is super nutritious and tastes fab. It also reheats perfectly so it is ideal for packing in to lunches for the next day.
Plant-based protein sources can be the sticking point for many people who are new to incorporating plant-based foods. They cook differently and taste different, often functioning as a carbohydrate source as well as a protein. Legumes such as chickpeas and lentils need a good amount of flavouring and the right amount of cooking to have a lovely texture and plenty of flavour. This curry is a super easy introductory recipe for any of you looking to eat a bit less meat!
Vegan Chickpea Curry
- 2 tins chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin coconut milk preferably full fat
- 1 onion finely sliced
- 2 inches ginger root peeled and minced
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 red chili deseeded and minced
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 150 g sweetcorn roughly 3/4 cup drained
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- brown rice to serve
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large casserole dish. Add the onion, ginger, chilli and garlic and saute for 3 minutes until softened.
- Add the curry powder, paprika, garam masala and turmeric and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the chickpeas, coconut milk and chopped tomatoes and mix well.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add the sweetcorn and continue to cook for another 10-15 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve with rice and a sprinkle of chopped coriander.