Today I have a deliciously warming recipe to share with you all: a one pot vegan lentil stew. I am following a more plant-based diet in 2019 so I have really been experimenting with more vegan recipes and this is one of my favourites at the moment! This recipe is packed with winter root vegetables, hearty lentils, a little spice and a creamy sauce made using vegan creme fraîche – how cool!
I am using Oatly Oat Fraiche in this recipe to give the sauce a delicious creaminess – it is a truly amazing new product on the vegan market. Plant-based milks and yoghurts have been around for a while, but there haven’t been many alternatives to cream available until now. It worked perfectly in this recipe and the geniuses at Oatly fortified it with calcium (which is something plant-based diets can lack in due to exclusion of dairy) so it is a winning product for me. In the UK, it is available in Tesco, Sainsburys, Waitrose and on Ocado.
Nutrition of this Recipe
- High in fibre thanks to all of those lentils and veggies
- High in iron due to the lentils
- A source of calcium thanks to the Oatly
- Lots of vitamin A from all of those carrots
- A great vegan protein source thanks to the lentils
The best thing about this recipe is that it is ready in 20 minutes and only uses ONE POT. I am all about that minimal washing up lifestyle so this is a staple for me when I am not feeling up to a kitchen full of pans.
Vegan Lentil Stew
- 2 Carrots
- 2 Leeks
- 2 Celery Sticks
- 1 Red Chilli
- 1/2 Bunch Sage
- 1/2 Bunch Thyme
- 2 Tins Green Lentils
- 1 Vegetable Stock Cube
- 200 ml Oatly Oat Fraiche or creme fraiche
- Top and tail the leeks, carrots and celery.
- Dice the carrots and celery in to cubes.
- Slice the leeks in to 1cm rounds.
- De-seed and finely chop the chilli.
- Pick the sage leaves off the stalks and roughly chop.
- Heat some olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the leeks, carrots, celery, sage and chilli.
- Hold the end of the thyme stalks over the pan and using two fingers, run them along the stalk and pull off the thyme leaves into the pan.
- Add some salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes until the vegetables have softened.
- Drain and rinse the lentils and add to the pan with the vegetable stock cube and 50ml of water.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir through the oat fraiche and heat until hot.
- Season more if desired and serve with a few sage leaves on the top.
I hope you all enjoyed this vegan lentil stew recipe! Let me know what you think in the comments below and please connect with me on Instagram to share your creations @essentially.emma
Got more leeks, carrots and lentils to use up?
Try my leek, carrot and lentil soup recipe – it is great to prep for lunches!